Smile! First Red Light Camera Installed On Key Biscayne

KEY BISCAYNE (CBS4) – They have been seen all over the Miami-Dade and Broward Counties, but now red light cameras are making their first appearance on Key Biscayne.

The village activated its first red light camera Monday at the intersection of Harbor Drive and Crandon Boulevard, according to CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald.

The camera will be positioned on the southwest corner of Harbor Drive and will photograph drivers heading eastbound toward Crandon Boulevard.

Drivers who run the red light won’t be ticketed – yet. The warning period ends on February 15th. After that time, anyone caught on breezing through the light should expect a $158 ticket in the mail.

“I can guarantee you when the signs go up that the red light cameras will be enforced and the fine is $158, things will change,” said Council member Enrique Garcia, who regularly walks around the island..

Key Biscayne is also applying for a permit to install another camera at the same intersection, instead it capturing images of drivers heading south on Crandon Boulevard, into the village.

The cameras will be operated by American Traffic Solutions, who will review the still pictures and video footage to determine if an infraction has been made.

The evidence will then be turned over to the Key Biscayne Police Department, who will also determine if a law has been broken.

If it is determined that a driver has run a red light, ATS will then issue a ticket within 30 days. The driver also has 30 days after receiving the ticket to either pay the fine, or contest the violation in court.

If the ticket is paid, it is considered a civil violation, meaning no points will be assessed on the driver’s record.

However, if the driver decides to challenge the incident, the ticket becomes a uniform traffic citation (UTC).

(© MMX CBS Television Stations. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald contributed material for this report)

Comments

1. Mike says:

Someone is getting very rich off these cameras. This is Miami and I’m sure the money is going into the wrong hands.

2. Mike alberti says:

These red light cameras are a good idea even though I got a $158.00 ticket in north miami

3. TC says:

AGAIN THE GOVERNMENT TAKING THE CITIZENS MONEY, BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING AND OUR CIVIL RIGHTS ARE GETTING STEPPED ON. PRIVATE COMPANIES, OUR POLITICIANS LOOKS TO ME LIKE A CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT LARCENY, POLITICIANS ARE GIVEN A LICENSE TO STEAL AND HERE IT IS.

1. Harvey says:

Is all caps really necessary? I don’t see how cameras that take footage of public roads violate any privacy issues and a reasonable fine for a dangerous driving offense is not larceny. I don’t want a ticket any more than you, but please settle down about this whole thing.

4. Lynn Beam says:

When I viewed the video, I was under the light when it turned red. I never run red lights. I called the 866 number and was on hold until I finally hung up. Either I pay or I go to court. I am incensed.

5. Norberto Rodriguez says:

With the economie on bad situation I dont think is good Idea at this time,Dade county dont need any more money . Now dont blamed this on Carlos Alvarez

6. Thomas says:

It’s amazing that challenging the ticket upgrades it to UTC. I guess they really don’t want anyone exercising there due proccess

7. MCO says:

What I want to know is, what are they doing with all this money that they collect and never seem to have because they’re always raising our taxes?

8. Tracy says:

“The government is taking the citizens money” <—– yeah, only if you let them. Here's an idea: GO THE SPEED LIMIT.

9. RobertM says:

I think that this will bring added safety to Key Biscayne as it has to nearly 500 other municipalities. Since we are in the 21st Century, we should use the available technology to reduce red light running and intersection collisions. There was a report recently released by the National Research Council that found that the United States is lagging behind several other developed nations in reducing traffic fatalities. One of the reasons cited for this is the increased use of radar and camera enforcement by other nations.

10. Sami says:

it’s easy…heed the speed!

11. Jerry says:

I think this is good for Key Biscayne. the cameras will make a big difference in how people act on the road.

12. cubuffalo says:

its good to publish the locations of these systems as often as possible. That makes them much more affective.

13. Rico says:

Man I hate getting tickets. I guess this is another reason to watch my driving. At least I know where they are now so I can smile as I go through. I do hope they make the streets safer.

14. Jamen says:

I sure hope people will figure out that the cameras don’t lie and will need to remind themselves of the basic traffic laws.

15. Julie says:

If it gets people to stop I’m all for the cameras. I really disagree that this is a big brother tactic or that people are sitting some where rolling in money from red light runners. Besides why would we defend the wallets of other people who are putting lives in danger by not paying attention or atleast trying to shotgun through a red light just to get to their destination two seconds earlier?

16. johndoe says:

If this makes us all more aware on the road and saves lives, how can it be bad?

17. Jason says:

If a $158 ticket isn’t enough to make me think twice before running a red-light, I don’t know what is!