Electrical Massager Blamed In Doctor’s Death
PARKLAND (CBS4) – A respected and beloved radiologist at Jackson Memorial Hospital died on Christmas Eve after a bizarre accident, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
Dr. Michelle Ferrari-Gegerson, 37, finished wrapping Christmas gifts and used an electrical massager to relieve neck pain. Investigators say the device strangled her.
Her husband, Kenneth, found his wife unconscious on their bedroom floor and called 911.
When paramedics arrived they found the electrical massager lying on the floor near her. Investigators ruled her death to be accidental.
“The massager got entangled with a necklace and it probably caused her to black out very quickly,” said Broward Sheriff’s Office Spokesperson Jim Leljedal. “Our homicide detectives and the Medical Examiner’s Office are still working on this case, still trying determine exactly what happened and see if there was something wrong with this device or in the way it was being used.”
Neighbor Miriam Ani said the family recently moved to Parkland.
“She was so young and she had a baby,” she told CBS 4′s Carey Codd. “It’s unbelievable.”
Dr. Ferrari-Gegerson worked since 2001 at Jackson Memorial Hospital. She worked as a radiologist in the emergency department.
Dr. Ferrari-Gegerson received her medical degree from the University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine — where she later taught.
Her colleagues are devastated by her death.
“She was an extremely hard worker but she was also a people person, people really liked her,” said Barbara Perez-Deppman, Director of Radiology at Jackson Memorial Hospital. “In fact she just came with baked goods this past week for the holidays for everyone.”
The Broward Sheriff’s Office is not releasing the type of massager Dr. Ferrari-Gegerson was using because detectives continue to investigate her death. However, our news partners at The Miami Herald are reporting there have been several recalls of back and neck massagers in recent years because of similar accidents and fire hazards.